Monday, April 27, 2009

Swine Flu Transmitted NOT by Pork But by Planes

A few months ago, we made plans to visit Texas during the upcoming long weekend. However, since school's been cancelled until May 6th and the airlines are waiving fees for us wee folks in the middle of the storm, I decided to push up my trip and head back to the US today. 

So here I am, back in Texas, and honestly, I am a little concerned by how little was done to "passively monitor" the situation both in Mexico and in the US. Here is what "passive" entails: not once was anyone asked about their health, not once was anyone's temperature taken, not once was anyone offered a mask or encouraged to wash their hands more frequently. Us young 'uns between the age of 25-37 were not even culled out for further questioning. And there I was trying not to sniffle, cough, or sneeze for fear of being detained. The only thing I saw differently was a leaflet handed out to some incoming passengers in the US concerning the flu.

Now that's passive. So passive I'd call it dismissive. Not that I believe this thing is spreading out of control, or that they should seal off borders, but you would think that authorities in both countries might be taking more precautions, especially when international boundaries are concerned. It's not that surprising to me now that there are cases showing up on nearly every continent-- so few precautions taken even up to today. Nick comes in tomorrow; let's see if the raised WHO alert level changes anything. 

Allow me to revise the hype: SWINE FLU NOT TRANSMITTED BY EATING PORK BUT BY PEOPLE TRAVELING BY PLANE FROM MEXICO. 

No comments:

Post a Comment