Monday, September 13, 2010

2010 Mexico City Fun-a-thon

"Should we bring the camera?" Nick asks before we head out to the street to watch the marathon.

"OK, let's bring it," I say.

"Well, what are you going to do with pictures of people running?"

"OK, let's not bring it."

But, the moment I saw someone run by with a wig on, I ran back inside and grabbed the camera. If there were wigs, there'd probably be costumes. And there were. And many other non-traditional marathon sightings: activists, clowns, Mary lovers, and a generous helping of patriotism. We foreigners like to say "Only in Mexico" when we see the occasional oddity, but, really, I do believe marathons like this exist ONLY in Mexico.

If you carry a framed picture of Mary on your back for 26 miles, I think you deserve to go to heaven.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!!! I'm so glad that you decided to take your camera. That looks like fun! :) My favorite has to be the "Adelita".

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photos are really awesome, thank you for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh I love it too!!! Hilarious :)

    You are right...ONLY in Mexico!!! Jajaja

    ReplyDelete