Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Dental Woes

My teeth have been cranky and agitated lately, and I've been wondering what's up. I am a vigilante with my teeth because 1) they were neglected and abused in childhood from one too many Little Debbie treats and 2) I'm a snacker. I try to brush after meals, I'm an obsessive flosser like Pretty Woman, and I started consuming more tumeric for its antibacterial magical powers. Maybe I'm just scared of being completely toothless.

Since I'm in the US for a bit, I decided to visit the dentist for a cleaning. While I have an excellent dentist in Mexico, it's nice not to have to deal with the language barrier when discussing matters like my teeth problems, of which there are many. And, it's actually cheaper here. Unbelievable, I know.

So, I booked a last-minute appointment (taking full advantage of the "Oh, you poor thing, you live in Mexico" sympathies), and I found out that I have a cavity! That surprised me because I just went to my Mexican dentist in January, and he didn't mention anything. What he did mention, though, was that I redo four fillings. And my dentist in the US recommended crowns! Oh my, what's happening to my teeth?

Every dentist is different, and each will have his own recommendations, so I take it all with a grain of salt, but I'm just wondering what on earth I need to do to stay cavity-free. I'm also wondering if the water's fluorinated in DF -- does anyone know? If it is, I should be getting a higher concentration of fluoride in my water since we're water boilers. If it's not, I need to stop snacking and start gargling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment