Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Something THIS Beautiful Should Not be Eaten

I haven't been able to stop staring at this since I brought it home from the market today. Never did see anything like it before, and it's so top-heavy that the only suitable thing I found to keep it from tipping over was my utensil holder. Can you tell what it is?? 

An affordable and stunning bridal bouquet. With a bloom so large, you'd just need one.

It's an alcachofa (artichoke) flower! I know what you're thinking--how come I've never seen this before?? While you can't see the stem, it is nearly an inch think and was, before I had it snipped, over a meter long. I see now why artichokes are so hard to eat--that beautiful bud inside requires some hefty protection against the vicious world. Doesn't this make you wonder what color some other vegetables flowers would be if we let them be?

No comments:

Post a Comment